[mythtv-users] Nasty shock with Comcast Chicago

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 14 02:24:47 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 13, 2006, at 5:19 AM, JDeGraw wrote:
>

>> Here in South Bend, Indiana I have basic extended and still get all
>> the
>> analog channels. Must be just a Chicago rollout as you say. But
>> probably
>> due to happen then in South Bend also soon.
>>
>> Although I cannot offer any help, Im supprised you got thru to actual
>> managers at the help-less desk. I find them inept at best in
>> anything I
>> need from them.
>>
>> I would go satellite but then I dont know where to get my internet
>> connection from. DSL is out of range for me here. That pretty much
>> leaves me with dialup only. Unless someone else knows of an answer.
>> Seems every morning around 6am or so the internet goes down here
>> until I
>> reset my cable modem. Otherwise it just sits and resets forever.
>>

> The only option other than Cable Modem if you can't get DSL would be
> DirectWay, which is a satellite-delivered internet service from
> DirectTV.
>
> Unfortunately it's apparently not a very good option. Due to speed-of-
> light limitations there is a significant latency problem. If you are
> just doing an ftp transfer, for example, from a single server, it's
> not too bad, but if you're trying to load a web page with 10-20 DNS
> lookups, the latency for each lookup adds up to significant delays.
>
> Also, according to Consumer Reports, they have the worst customer
> satisfaction record on the planet, but they *are* an option.
>
> Of course you could always get a T1 line installed, you can usually
> get them for around $800/month these days. I find it amusing that a
> lot of folks are "too far away" for DSL, but somehow close enough for
> even T3 service if they are willing to pay :-)

I was paying $355/mo for partial T1 from Speakeasy.
The nice thing about T1 is that it's solid, duplex and up 99% of the
time. And, when it goes down, it's down for maybe 2 minutes. At least,
here in SF Bay area.
I was too far away for DSL -- -yes, I really was I tried it with 3
companies. T1 was my only option.