[mythtv-users] Quad Proc setup Configuration and advise on HDTV cards

Kurt Adair kurt.adair at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 01:26:26 UTC 2006

I intend to turn an old compaq 6400R server into a MythTV Frontend and
Backend.  The computer has a cheap onboard video card and no sound.  Now my
problem is that I would like to be able to run SD today and switch to HD in
a few months.  I believe I need a capture card with a built in mpeg2
encoder, which one would users recommend?  For the output to the tv should I
look for a card that will do both SD and HD or buy a seperate graphics card
for ouput to HD at a later date? (I'm assuming that there are no 64bit pci
cards)

What recommendations do you have for my rather unique setup.  I was thinking
about making about 2.5-3gb of ram into a ramdisk.  Maybe setup a buffer
system so that a show would be loaded to the ramdisk when playing starts to
make ff and other operations faster.  Does this sound like a good idea or is
there an easier way to let mythtv utilize the ram.  Should I setup the scsi
drives in raid0 or not bother with it and just use the sata drive for all of
the myth storage?

The specs for the machine are:
4 - 500mhz PIII
4gb ram ECC protected high-speed buffered EDO
 2 - 9gb scsi ultra3 wide
 1 - 300gb sata
2- 64bit pci busses

Thanks