[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs: Temporary scale-back to 3 days of listings

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Mon Feb 13 22:29:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 11:23:57AM -0500, Tom Lichti wrote:

> >> anything new at 5:00 p.m.

> >> Hmmm.  I can see how, no matter what time of day that update
> >> actually *is*, it could interact poorly with a) when people
> >> retrieve and b) when networks update.  Cause, no, I don't
> >> think it actually *is* immaterial when we download.  If it's
> >> *just before* you update, we lose an extra day's currency.
> >>

> > Yes, you're right.  I guess I'm used to some people downloading hundreds (or
> > even thousands) or times per day, totally pointlessly, from DataDirect,
> > thinking they're getting updated data (I guess).
> >
> Sounds like you could gain a lot by limiting people to one download per
> day, or maybe a max of 3. Just refuse the download on the 4th (or more try).

Another possible way to fix this is don't let someone download twice in
under 26 hours.  This way it forces everyone to change download times or
only lets people download every 2 days at the same time.  I'd even go
for 78 hours or something.  Myth could easily track this and could
reschedule when it knows it can download data again.

--Brandon