[mythtv-users] use an msnTV as a frontend?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 13 16:48:00 UTC 2006

On Monday 13 February 2006 10:50, Dave Jones wrote:
> On 2/13/06, matt lutz <myth.matt.lutz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I just saw this on engadget:
> >
> > http://mirror.toc2rta.com/index.php/Main_Page
> >

> > At $0.99 it's a pretty cheap.  Specs look similar to an XBOX, so
> > you would think it would be able to run a full frontend.  It has
> > more memory than the XBOX too.  Any thoughts?
> >
> > Matt
> >

> Ha, you beat me to the punch... I was about to send this myself :)
>
> It looks (to my untrained eye) that it should be capable of handling
> low-power video codecs (possibly MPEG2, but maybe not MPEG4). Its
> specs are pretty similar to an XBOX (not quite the same), so it might
> be able to boot something like Xebian and run a frontend.
>
> Anyhow, the hardware is all there. It is definitely enough to handle
> RTJPEG. If I didn't have my hands full right now, I would start
> hacking on this today!
>
> On a separate note, wouldn't this be a neat thing to re-appropriate
> as a storage server, a'la Linksys NSLU2?
>
> -David

Anybody know what the video chipset is?  That's the only information I
can't seem to find.  Also, how about heat/noise?  It looks fanless --
is it?  My guess is it's fanless, and therefore probably has an
unaccelerated 2D video chipset -- the big question is, does the video
chipset support Xv?  If so, it might make a decent non-HD frontend.
Nice and quiet, too, I'd wager.

-JAC