[mythtv-users] Xbox frontend really slow, video only updates every few seconds

Daniel A. Segel mythtv at archer-segel.com
Sun Feb 12 16:32:53 UTC 2006

I recently installed MythTV from SVN on my Xbox running Xebian 1.1.4,
and while it *works* as a frontend-only system, the performance is so
bad it's basically unusable. My backend system is using a PVR-350 to
encode all the video; does that make a difference? I tried lowering the
bitrate for Live TV but it didn't seem to help. I'm recording everything
at 720x480, but the Xbox is outputting 640x480 so I suppose it needs to
scale things somewhere. The Xbox and the backend system are both
connected to the same 100Mbit switch, so I don't think network bandwidth
is the issue (and doesn't the Xbox only have a 10Mbit connection anyway?)

My backend system is an Athlon XP1700+ with 1GB of RAM.

Any tips on what to check or change to make it work better?

Daniel