[mythtv-users] Multiple Plextor Audio Solution ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 12 13:01:31 UTC 2006

On Feb 11, 2006, at 11:38 PM, Byron Poland wrote:

>>> Maybe Debian is applying a special patch?
>>
>> I built my 0.18.1 from source.
>>
>> Brian.
>>

> I'm completely lost reading this thread.  I have a Plextor ConvertX.
> and use it with myth, it requires no sound card.  In fact in my
> backend at home, when I had the convertx plugged into it (I'm on the
> road now, and brough the convertx with me) has no sound card.  The
> plextor recorded from a cable stream fine.  I would think you could
> add multiple convertX boxes to a machine with no problem.  Each would
> appear as a new /dev/videoX and /dev/dspX  and you can record away.
> Playback would work through your soundcard just like playing any
> multimedia file.  Live tv worked fine through the plextor for me.
> I've used the plextor with .18, .18.1 and svn versions without a
> problem.

It all started with my misguided notion that /dev/dsp1 was a creature
of a soundcard, causing me to think that I would need a separate
soundcard for each Plextor device (similar to the HD-3000 cards where
this is in fact the case if you are using the line-out audio).

The good folks here on this list, including yourself, have set me
straight and I am most thankful.

They are very nice devices, as getting an mpeg4 stream directly has
many advantages, but their failure to embed the audio into the mpeg
stream confused me (doesn't take much to do that these days).

Now to figure out how many Plextors it would take to saturate the USB
bus :-)