[mythtv-users] Multiple Plextor Audio Solution ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 12 02:37:31 UTC 2006

I've decided I like the Plextor units, getting an mpeg4 file on disk
without the CPU load of doing it with a frame-grabber or the time to
transcode it from mpeg2 is very nice. I would like to add another
such device.

The video end should be no problem (within the limitations of the USB
bus), but audio seems like a problem, as it is not multiplexed into
the mpeg stream.

My mobo's integrated AC97 has only 1 PCM input, as I would assume is
true of most such devices.

Does anyone know of a solution which would provide multiple PCM
inputs? Obviously something that would play nice with ALSA? Even
something that created a multiplexed stream would have to
differentiate between multiple Plextor audio feeds.

I've already found a $10 USB device that can accept the line audio
from an HD-3000, thus allowing a Plextor and a 3000 to co-exist
(haven't tested this yet), but multiple Plextors looks to be
problematic.

Anyway, when everyone gets through upgrading I'd appreciate some
thoughts on this :-)

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org