[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs: Temporary scale-back to 3 days of listings

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Feb 11 20:16:25 UTC 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 01:52:05PM -0600, Zap2It-Labs wrote:
> > Hmmm. I can see how, no matter what time of day that update actually
> > *is*, it could interact poorly with a) when people retrieve and b)
> > when networks update. Cause, no, I don't think it actually *is*
> > immaterial when we download. If it's *just before* you update, we
> > lose an extra day's currency.
>
> Yes, you're right. I guess I'm used to some people downloading
> hundreds (or even thousands) or times per day, totally pointlessly,
> from DataDirect, thinking they're getting updated data (I guess).

Which would in fact be a danger of youre actually *doing* the updates
in real time, though clearly not much of one, since everyone's acting
that way anyway.

> One thing we may do, especially when Myth 0.19 comes out and becomes widely
> adopted, is adjust the suggestedDownloadTimes returned by acknowledge() to
> ensure that you'll always get a time after we've performed the data load.
> For example, if we did the data load at 6:00 a.m., we wouldn't give suggest
> a download time to Myth 0.19+ users of midnight to 6 a.m., since that would
> be yesterday's stuff.
>
> That's just an idea, not a policy.

That would be good.

Is there a reason you batch the incoming updates to you to merge into
the database?

> > > Speaking somewhat off-the-cuff, if we do make a real change to the
> > > technical approach of DataDirect, it would probably be to offer
> > > less customization and allow us to do more caching. This would cut
> > > down on CPU utilization (or allow us to "pre-calculate"), rather
> > > than doing expensive diff-type calculations for every user.
> >
> > Hmmm. Is there discussion going on in detail, anywhere, on this
> > topic?
>
> Best place at this moment be this thread on Z2L:
> http://bb.labs.zap2it.com/viewtopic.php?t=794

I'll check it out.

I was a Titan beta, and they hated me.  A lot.

In a good way.  :-)

> > And for what it's worth (just so my position is clear), you guys
> > *rock* for doing this at all (much less for free). :-) I'd just like
> > to help all involved to make it work even better on both sides.
>
> Thanks. :)

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?