[mythtv-users] Wireless HTPC - How best to set it up?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 11 18:36:05 UTC 2006

--- Bill Suit <bsuit at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Soon to start building a mythtv HTPC. It will be
> integrated into my tv/stereo
> system in one room. I have dsl modem > wireless
> router/access point > lan in
> another room.
>
>  I'm looking for the best solution to having the
> HTPC with a wireless
> capability - without using a PCI slot, if possible.
>
>  The only thing I've come up with is using a second
> wireless router/access
> point. Thereby using the HTPC's built in nic. Is
> this feasible? How to set it
> up?
>
>  Other solutions?
>
>  TIA,
>  Bill
> --
> --

You want to get what is called a "wireless bridge",
and it connects to your Ethernet card.  This is the
easiest way, you don't have to worry about finding a
compatible USB or PCI wireless dongle/card, and you
don't have to go through the massive hassle to get
things like WPA or WPA2 working (if that's what you
will use).

There are bridges sold with only that purpose in mind,
or you might be able to use some wireless routers as a
bridge, it depends on the product.

-- Joe