[mythtv-users] XvMC, Plextor Question, and Sound

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Fri Feb 10 21:12:17 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> So, do I understand this correctly:
>
> I've installed a Plextor ConvertX (I've run out of PCI slots).
>
> Even if I am ultimately successful in getting XvMC to work, I would
> get no help from it in playing video from the Plextor (live or
> recorded) as it is MPEG-4???

I think that is currently correct, yes. I believe some unichrome
hardware is capable of mpeg-4
XvMC acceleration, but I don't think any drivers/libraries support that
functionality yet.

> Is there any work afoot to support Plextor modes other than MPEG-4?

Not that I'm aware of. However, I'm interested in doing just that once
0.19 is released. I
have a plextor, and like you I'm out of PCI slots, so the Plextor is
really my only option if
I want a second tuner. In addition to XvMC support, recording to Mpeg-2
would allow
for DVD burning via MythBurn.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't think it will be all that difficult
to add support for mpeg-2.

> The Plextor has been working surprisingly well, but if anyone is
> considering one, be aware that it does not embed the sound in the
> MPEG stream, the way a PVR does. Rather it sends uncompressed sound
> to ALSA as PCM, which requires a sound card input.

MythTV then compresses this audio to mp3 using your system's CPU (by
default - you can
turn it off in the recording profiles), so the plextor will actually
cause mythbackend to burn a
good bit more CPU than a true PVR card.

> I guess I could replace two of my 150s with a 500, freeing up a slot
> for a sound card, but I think I'll wait 'till the 500 support settles
> down a bit.

500's seem a bit more picky about their drivers, PCI slots, and inputs
than other IVTV cards
too.

--
Jesse Guardiani