[mythtv-users] XvMC Problem and Question

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 04:46:15 UTC 2006

> Trying to get XvMC working with 0.18.1
>
> GeForce FX 5700VE card w/256MB
>
> vNidia 1.0.7676 drivers installed
>
> mythTV 0.18.1 with XvMC compiled in (I have the XvMC checkbox checked
> in the UI)
> (ldd mythfrontend shows the XvMC library dependency, and it is
> fulfilled, but possibly incorrectly)
>
> "load glx" included in X config file, glxinfo shows OpenGL loaded
> properly
>
> Attempt to watch live TV results in "unable to initialize video,
> Unable to create XvMC Context, return status: 11 Bad Alloc"
>
> I'm pretty sure I have a library problem caused by the fact that I
> initially installed the 8178 drivers from nVidia's installer, and
> switched to 7676 using Gentoo's Portage system. I already found a
> link in /usr/lib that linked to an 8178 version, not 7676, and fixed
> that, but nothing in mythfrontend seems to be using any of the nVidia
> libs.
>
> Could someone using the nVidia drivers tell me what /usr/lib/
> libXvMC.so and/or /usr/lib/libXvMC.so.1 are linked to? Also, do you
> have an /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file, and if so what does it contain?
> (should be only one line if it exists).
>
> Also, running ldd on the mythfrontend executable, what is libXvMC.so.
> 1 fullfilled by?
>
> This would help me out immensely, much thanks.
>

> Brian Wood
> beww at beww.org

I recently was in a similar situation, but was trying to just
completely eliminate the fact that I ever tainted my kernel with
anything from nvidia.  What a problem that caused!  I completely
removed nvidia anything, removed xorg, recompiled and reinstalled
xorg, but still had a few traces of nvidia crap around :(

I eventually just grepped my system for anything looking suspicous,
removed it, reinstalled quite a bit of things to make sure they were
no longer being attached to anything nvidia, and finally was able to
get a truly nvidia-free system working.  About 20 minutes later, I
reinstalled the nvidia drivers :D

Anyway, back to your question.  I'd personally just remove (emerge -C
nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx) the emerged nvidia drivers, and then using
the nvidia installer, remove the old (new actually) one as well.
Then, re-emerge the older version (emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx)
and then re-install/emerge mythtv to make sure it's all setup and
linked correctly.

Directly answering your question:

I'm running SVN MythTV, gentoo on an AMD XP 2500, and here's the info you want:

ls -l /usr/lib/libXvMC.so
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 14 Jan 12 19:21 /usr/lib/libXvMC.so -> libXvMC.so.1.0
mythslave ~ # ls -l /usr/lib/libXvMC.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 14 Jan 12 22:28 /usr/lib/libXvMC.so.1 -> libXvMC.so.1.0

No longer have an XvMCConfig, removed after I did all the things
mentioned above.

ldd /usr/bin/mythfrontend | grep XvMC
        libXvMC.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXvMC.so.1 (0xb6a7a000)

Chad