[mythtv-users] How to minimize CPU usage

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 01:20:15 UTC 2006

Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On 1/30/06, Boleslaw Ciesielski <bolek-mythtv at curl.com> wrote:
>>Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>>
>>>PVRs have existed for a while, but not HD-resolution PVRs - they're
>>>pretty recent.  If X is in a 24-bit depth mode, then I don't see where
>>>my numbers are off - 24 (bit depth) * 1280 * 720 (screen res) * 30
>>>(fps) = 630+ Mbits/sec.
>>
>>720p is (usually) 60fps.
>
> That's what I thought, but that would mean 24 * 1280 * 720 * 60 = 1260
> Mbits/second going to the video card.  There'd be no way that would
> work over PCI - it'd be dropping every other frame (not to mention
> that X reports 32 bpp, so 24 seems low), but it seemd like there was
> much less dropage than that.  So there's something I'm not accounting
> for, but I don't know what (this is without XvMC).

Just to confuse matters, I’m pretty sure I’ve driven my CRT at
1600x1200 at 100hz from one of my PCI graphics cards, (CRTs been in storage
for 7 months, should get it back in a week so can check) this means that
under X the whole raw frame doesn’t get shoved from the CPU to the GPU
across the bus, I think this is the difference between the frame buffer
and a hardware accelerated 2D environment like X.