[mythtv-users] Jason Beck's QAM guide Now on the Wiki

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Feb 9 20:24:24 UTC 2006

Noah Markon wrote:
>> Wild guesses:
>> Check that these channels are denoted as ATSC on the channel information
>> page reached from the channel editor in mythtv-setup.
>> Set the atscsrcid to null or zero for the SD channels. I noticed some
>> oddities on my digital SD channels before I forced that setting to zero
>> ( I don't do HD... no output with a VIA SP13000 so I'm not even trying!).
>> I presume that the 'azap -r somechannel' plus 'cat
>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > test.mpg' followed by 'mplayer test.mpg' works.
>>
>> But does 'azap -r somechannel' followed by  'mplayer -vid x -aid y
>> /dev/dvr/adapter0/dvr0'  work, where you plug in the vid and aid numbers
>> found in the atscscan run?  If the latter works, I wonder if the
>> serviceid is actually correct.
>>
>> The last suggestion is to download and compile an svn version of myth.
>> putting it into a different place (as recently discussed) and create a
>> new database ('mythtest') to use with that svn version, because
>> ultimately, it may be that the 18.1 version is just too old to do what
>> you want.
>>

> If I remember correctly I had the same problems viewing the PBS Kids
> when I was tuning using the Antenna, I enabled the "Use TS instead of
> PS" option in the DVB card's settings, and I was able to watch the
> stations correctly, however now there is a HD station that causes my
> frontend to crash when I try to watch TV, or anything record on that
> channel.
>
> I took a peak into my DB to see if I had any left-over atscsrcid left
> over, and sure enough I did. I'll try setting them all to NULL and try
> again tonight. Just a general question, what does the atscsrcid do?
> How would it affect anything if I did have it set to something other
> then NULL?
>
> Also I noticed that in .19 the default setting would be to use TS,
> since I'm already using TS and it's causing problems for me, I'll
> still have problems when I upgrade? Did they make any changes to
> encoding or decoding TS in .19?

 From threads here, ISTR that the PS option has been removed from the
latest SVN versions and will not appear in version 19. I have used TS
from day one so I don't know what it does or does not do.
I do not know was atscsrcid does, but it is not needed for *SD* digital
transmissions. I have no idea if it is required for HD and I have no
idea where it comes from or how it gets set. I presume that the channel
scan fills it in... but that would infer a recent SVN build.

There has been a recent thread concerning crashes with HD. I have no
idea what would be causing that. or how to avoid it. I get only 2 or 3
HD channels on my cable. I could get 7 or 8 with an antenna, but I have
no HD capable display. If I wanted to go that route, I would have to
transcode the received HD down to SD level. I will probably try that at
some point but not yet.

You did not answer as to whether you can do the 'azap' tests... or is
that for later tonight. Please report your results.... It might be
worthwhile to attempt to record and transcode an HD transmission, so
help isolate that segfault... it could be a video artifact and not a
recording artifact.

Geoff

--
       R. Geoffrey Newbury