[mythtv-users] Jason Beck's QAM guide Now on the Wiki

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Thu Feb 9 01:32:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 17:07 -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 17:49 -0700, Mike wrote:
> > Done for Phoenix AZ, though people out here could modify mine to include
> > more channels. Those are the only ones I cared about. BTW, I changed it
> > around so it is easier to see by city.
>
> And done for Burlingame, CA.  I got mine working (sort of) last night,
> though I wouldn't want to have to repeat it.  And there's still some
> channel detrius left in myth somewhere that I'll have to find and report
> if I ever dare to repeat the procedure...

Okay - it's starting to come back to me... Some background info:

Master Backend:
(tuner 2) PVR-250 connected to a DCT-2000
(tuner 3) Firewire connected to a DCT-6200
(tuner 4) HD-3000 card

Slave Backend:
(tuner 1) PVR-250 connected to analog cable

I ended up clearing out my cards and input sources first, then adding
the tuner cards in order.
Next, I defined the input sources for tuners 1, 2, and 3.  Then running
mythfilldatabase
Next up would be the channels.conf bit.  I ran a script to do a 5-second
capture on each entry found in the atscscan procedure performed in the
perviously posted script.  I eliminated all files that were less than
1MB, then manually looked at each remaining file.  If I could get a
channel logo in the captured video I renamed the entry in channels.conf,
according to the name in the LOCAL OTA LISTING that I had defined in
zap2it.  After that, I defined the DVB channel source for tuner 4 as
corresponding to the zap2it Local source.  I imported the channels.conf
in the channel scan, then in the channel editor ensured that they have
the correct names (2_1, etc...)

Then ran mythfilldatabase again...

The hitch was that it wasn't actually that smooth.  At first, it named
the channels in the 500's, which are already used by my dct-2000 source.
And renaming them in channel editor didn't completely remove them.  I
believe that I saw them in the frontend "channel priorities" screen, so
that might be a bug.  (Can someone confirm this?)

Oh yes - and ALL of this was withOUT mythbackend running... ;)

	-I