[mythtv-users] A few 0.19 and RAM questions

Phill Wiggin wigginp at mantech-wva.com
Wed Feb 8 14:08:31 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>Phill Wiggin wrote
>

>>Thanks for the info. I'll look into it a bit more, but based on
>>
>>http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management
>>
>>"To see a better estimation of how much memory is really free for
>>applications to use, run the command free -m"

>>But, the results from top and free both show similar results in the
>>amount of swap used, so I still doubt that Linux naturally uses much
>>swap space by itself.
>>

>Basically, what I'm saying is that you can specify the swappiness of a
>running Linux 2.6 kernel--controlling how likely the kernel is to swap
>pages from memory and under what circumstances it does so.  Therefore,
>output from top or free or ... without specifying additional information
>is a wild goose chase in Canada (don't they have a lot of geese
>there?).  You're all just chasing your own goose and not realizing it's
>a different goose from the one the others are chasing.
>
>In other words, there's no one way that Linux does swap.  (You can even
>control swappiness in 2.4, but it requires much more effort than with 2.6.)
>
>Tell me what you want to prove, and I'll configure a Linux kernel such
>that top or free or ... "prove" your point.
>
>Mike

I see what you're saying.  By default, kernels > 2.6.7 have a default
swappiness of 60 (60/100), I believe.  So, as long as the people in this
thread are running stock kernels, we should still be comparing apples to
apples. That is: Does the default linux kernel uses swap naturally?

For the record, if anyone's still interested, all of my kernels are
gentoo-sources > 2.6.9.

And I don't think we were trying to specifically prove anything, other
than standard linux kernel installs don't always use swap space. :)

Sorry for any confusion/aggravation!

--Phill W.