[mythtv-users] HD1080i or HD480i? 6600 Component out

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:40:04 UTC 2006

On 2/7/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Steven Adeff wrote:
>
> >your native mode is essential 1280x720, also known as 720p. You should
> >try and get the modeline your EDID prints and go from there. I have a
> >feeling the extra resolution may be to alow for the 1280x720p to be
> >displayed with no noticeable overscan.
> >

> And, note that Myth will scale the image to fit within the screen.  So,
> even though you have SDTV that you recorded at 720x480, when you play it
> back in Myth, it will be scaled according to the MythTV settings (i.e.
> usually full screen, but it could be GUI size).  You made a comment
> about switching to 480i so an SDTV show would take up the whole screen,
> but this is unnecessary since Myth scales the SDTV to full
> screen--whatever resolution that is.
>
> Mike

My problem is that I have a 4:3 HDTV.   I setup my xorg for 1080i so I can
see HDTV shows in HDTV (bars on the top and bottom as expected).    As you
stated, MythTV correctly scales to the 1080i screen.  But when I watch 480i
shows, because the output is 1080i to a 4:3 screen, I get bars on all 4
sides.   Bottom and top from outputting 1080i to a 4:3 screen and sides
since MythTV is scaled to 1080i and I am displaying 4:3.  I realize that I
can hit 'W' and rescale the image.  Unfortunately, that means I cutoff the
top and bottom since the NVidia 1080i output doesn't send a signal to the TV
for that portion of the display.  Ideally, I would love to switch the Xorg
tvformat to 480i on the fly based on video.  Is that possible?

Steve