[mythtv-users] s/pdif sound fc 4

travis moralindignation at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 03:43:42 UTC 2006

> Delete the /etc/asound.conf you may have on your
> computer as it could mess up stuff.

done

> Disable the KDE sound server.

done

> To try playing now you can do something like:
> aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

still plays from the internal speaker

> or to force the digital output:
> aplay -D digital /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav

i get:
ALSA lib pcm.c:2099:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM digital
aplay: main:544: audio open error: No such file or directory

i also tried digital-hw with the same message, and I tried
"plug:spdif" and i got a delayed prompt, like it was playing, but no
sound came out.

I also checked my s/pdif out, and I do see a red light at the end of
the cable, not sure if that helps.

> Make sure the .asoundrc is located in the home directory of the login you've
> used.

yup.

Thanks again for helping me out with this.