[mythtv-users] request xorg.conf file for DVI out to HD

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 21:50:57 UTC 2006

On 2/7/06, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/7/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/7/06, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am setting up a new mythbox, and have a 5200 fx card in it which I
> > > will be connecting to my HD tv via dvi-hdmi converter.  My tv is
> > > capable of 1080i.  Can someone who has a similar setup please share
> > > their xorg.conf file with me?  I have a feeling that what I have is
> > > not what I will need.
> > >
> > > Also, before I plug it into my tv, I have it plugged into a dell lcd
> > > monitor via dvi.  Will I be able to use that xorg.conf file with the
> > > monitor or will it screw things up?
> >
> > you will need modelines that your TV can understand.
> >
> > Standard HD modelines can be found here:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database
> >
> OK, so modelines are for dvi->hdmi as well.  For some reason I thought
> they were only important for VGA, but I am starting to think the
> opposite is true.

basically, modelines are a way of telling your video card
specifications as to how it should output a signal beyond just the
resolution. It is required no matter what output you are using, though
used in different ways by the driver/hardware and the output you end
up using. There are two groups of modelines in that wiki article,
standard modelines, which should work with a variety of hardware, then
custom modelines  at the end for VGA/DVI output that users have
submitted so that others with the same TV's can benefit.

If your connecting to your tv via DVI/HDMI, and you have not disabled
EDID, you should see EDID information in your X.org log gathered from
your TV, including "recommended" modelines, from which you can
probably cut and paste into xorg.conf or you may have to slightly
modify.

--
Steve