[mythtv-users] MythTV and Satellite

James Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Tue Feb 7 16:23:58 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 8:40 am, Dan Wilga wrote:
> At 10:36 AM -0700 2/6/06, James Dastrup wrote:
> >I used to have a lot of missed channel changes and recordings on
> > my Dish 311, too, but I finally solved it.  I used to get about
> > 90% accuracy, but now I get a perfect 100% of signals sent
> > properly. I can't tell you 'exactly' how I solved it, but it was
> > a combination of kernel config, lircd.conf and my channel change
> > script.  I'm using lirc-0.8.0 and this IR blaster:
> > http://iguanaworks.net/ir/.  I don't know exactly what in the
> > kernel helped if anything, but I made a lot of changes to
> > preemption, timing and other cpu stuff. I didn't use nice at all.
> > Here's my config files, in case this will help anyone.
>
> I just recently did some kernel and LIRC updates, and all my
> previous problems with tuning using a homemade IR emitter via LIRC
> are now gone. Here are some relevant parameters:
>
>    lirc-0.8.0pre3
>
>    kernel 2.6.14.5 with these options:
>      CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=y
>      CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC=y
>      CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE=y
>      # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
>      # CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set
>      CONFIG_PREEMPT_BKL=y
>      # CONFIG_HZ_100 is not set
>      CONFIG_HZ_250=y
>      # CONFIG_HZ_1000 is not set
>      CONFIG_HZ=250
>      (I think the most important part is setting the RTC timer
> frequency to 250 Hz and the CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE option)

I sure wish it was that easy.  As opposed to your config, my config
has PREEMPT enabled with the LOW_LATENCY option. I also don't have
HEPT TIMER support whereas you do. Maybe it does have something to do
with settings in that particular section of the kernel configuration
(Processort Type and Features), or we could both be wrong and maybe
it only has to do with a good lircd config and channelchange script.
I changed so many things at the same time it's hard for me to tell.
I'd like to do further testing to narrow it down, but that would mean
missing some recordings....