[mythtv-users] HD1080i or HD480i? 6600 Component out

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 13:43:32 UTC 2006

On 2/6/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/6/06, Alex Brekken <brekkal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > So how would a person setup their xorg.conf file so that it will ouput
> either 1080i OR 720p depending upon the source material?  My TV will do
> 1080i and 720p, so I wouldn't necessarily want to force it one way or the
> other.
>
> If your TV is native 1080i output at 1080i if its native at 720p
> output at 720p. I don't think XRandR works with TV-out, only monitor
> out, so you might want to try connecting to your TV via the DVI cable.

I would love to know the answer for that as well.  I have a 4:3 HDTV that
accepts 1080i or 480i.   (It does not accept 720p so I don't mind outputting
those shows as 1080i).  I do need to figure out how to switch it to 480i for
SDTV shows so that they fill the whole screen.  I think it is possible if I
look at Jarod's xorg.conf that uses different modelines for different
modes.

http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/xorg.conf-HD.txt

I haven't experimented with that yet.  Of course, he isn't using the
tvstandard "hd1080i" in this xorg that I am so it may be a bit more
difficult than I realize.  Hopefully, I'll get a chance to try that this
weekend.   If I learn anything, I'll post it here.

My TV only has component so DVI isn't an option.  (I assume that most of us
that are using the 6200/6600 component out are in that situation).

Steve