[mythtv-users] Asus A7V8X-X and Hauppague 500 PVR compatablilty - just looking for a possible answer

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Tue Feb 7 05:54:22 UTC 2006

Stephen Kitchener wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I have just returned my 3rd Hauppauge 500 MCE Card, they all had the same
> fault, one (The same tuner on each), not working at all.
>
> A thought has occurred, could it be that the motherboard is itself making the
> PVR card non-functional, ie the act of actually using the card in the mobo,
> kills one tuner, I guess that this is a really remote possibility but I
> thought that I would ask the question, especially if there are users on
> mythtv using the same motherboard/PVR card combination.
>
> Thanks

How hot is the 500 getting?

I havn't used that board specifically, but I've tried to use 2 KT333's
and KT133 based board with a 500 before. If they act anything like all 3
of the boards I physically dealt with, I'd say your KT400 is cooking
that 500 for you.

In my case, I started with the 500 on a AMD761 based board so I knew
about how hot it should get under normal use which is literally almost
no noticeable heat coming off it. When I first tried the 333 I knew
straight away that something was really wrong not only because it was
rebooting all the time, but because the cards were literally cooking in
there! (and not just the 500, the 350 and the HD-3000 too!) To me it
felt like I had my hand next to a badly cooled processor and the tuner
enclosures were uncomfortable to touch they were so hot. Not like it was
melting but hot enough that the green boards were pretty warm too. I
just walked over and touched my tuners right now and they are just
slightly warm to the touch and the boards they are on are unnoticeable
after recording for 53 mins now.

So I don't know if that is the same problem your having but I thought
I'd share.

Good luck!
-Mike