[mythtv-users] HD1080i or HD480i? 6600 Component out

Steve Skarda steveskarda at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 21:40:16 UTC 2006

On 2/2/06, Steve Skarda < steveskarda at gmail.com > wrote:

>    *HD1080i or HD480i? 6600 Component out*
> ------------------------------
> Long-time reader, first time poster.
>
> I am a newbie running MythTV from SVN on Ubuntu outputting component out
> via a fanless Nvidia 6600. Reading some old posts from Jarod and others, I
> was able to output to my TV (which accepts 1080I, not 720p on a 4:3 screen)
> with the line in my xorg: Option "TVStandardard" "HD480i" No modelines
> required.
>
> While this works great, it obviously isn't HDTV which was my primary
> purpose for MythTV. (Can't wait to sell my Tivo!). When I add the line
> Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i" I get a small desktop on what appears to be a
> 1080i resolution. I can see that Nvidia is outputting a wide screen
> resolution but the desktop is significantly narrower and shorter than the
> NVidia output and is centered in the screen. I have tried the
> Windows/Powerstrip route and gotten modlines that should work but don't seem
> to help. Also, when MythTV kicks into watching a show under this mode, the
> system freezes and requires a reboot.
>
> Second question. Considering that I have a 4:3 HDTV (16:9 didn't fit in my
> entertainment center but I will be buying a front projection in the near
> future), will 1080i output ever be able to fill the screen for shows that
> are 4:3? Probably doesn't matter since those shows aren't HDTV anyway but I
> don't think I can change Xorg.conf from one mode HD480i to the other
> HD1080i on the fly. Or can I?
>
> Sorry for the newbie questions. BTW, I appreciate all of the folks that
> respond on this and other forums. I took a little different route setting up
> my first MythTV system on Ubuntu with a Fusion 5 Gold card and 6600
> component output. While this is probably trivial for some folks, it was a
> great challenge (and a ton of fun) for someone that has never worked on
> Linux before. I had many, many problems all of which I was able to solve
> (except this one) by reading through this and other forums. For the active
> posters/problem solvers: Thanks! Not to mention the developers!

For anyone trying to do 1080i component out on NVidia 6200 or 6600, I
struggled to get this to work so thought I'd post my solution for other's
benefit.   Most posts in the past suggest to use tvstandard HD480i (not
HDTV) when using component out directly from a 6200 or 6600.  I was able to
get HD1080i to work on my 6600 with no modelines by doing the following:

Nvidia 7676

In my xorg.conf:
Under device settings:
Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i"

Under screen:
modes "HD1080i"

This got me to a full 1080i display with 1080i desktop but X locked up upon
playing video.   To fix that:

Open nvidia-settings and set vsync-to-blank to unchecked (not default).
(could also modify the nvidia settings file directly - I did both but assume
along would work)
Everytime X loads, type:
$ nvidia-settings -l

The only problem is that this is still horribly overscanned.   Will probably
play with modelines in the future to see if I can fix this.  Have read posts
that say there is no answer short of getting a TV technician to change the
TV.  I got the nvidia-settings -l command from posts on NVNews and they
suggest you need to type that command every time X loads.   I also found
that to be true.  People smarter than I am could probably suggest how to get
the line for nvidia-settings -l to load on every startup. I am still typing
mythbackend, sudo lirc, and mythfrontend everytime I boot my computer.  Just
haven't worked on this yet.  The basic instructions didn't work for me.