[mythtv-users] PVR500, PCHDTV 3000, and AMD64

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 6 17:05:55 UTC 2006

Jeffrey R. Born wrote:

> As a programmer the # sign designates the start of a comment. So am I
> correct you want me to comment out
>
> #alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv

Background: There are 2 modules with a similar purpose.
Your kernel tree has a tveeprom module file, normally at
/lib/modules/'uname -r'/kernel/drivers/media/video/
The tuner modules for the cx88 dvb stuff are under there in (naturally)
/cx88
Elsewhere there is a tveeprom-ivtv module. The 'where' seems to depend
heavily on the distro. If that line is not commented out of
modprobe.conf, then all calls to tveeprom are re-routed to tveeprom-ivtv.
But the HD3000 drivers will not work with the tveeprom-ivtv module. The
Hauppauge pvr cards will, however, work with the tveeprom module.

> I have tried rebooting with it both ways and neither gives me
> /dev/video0 let alone /dev/video1.
>
> I’ve included my entire /etc/modprobe.conf file here. My guess after a
> quick perusal is I have ivtv loaded when I shouldn’t. I’ve tried many
> bad routes already. I would edit and try myself, but even if it worked
> I’m not sure if that would break something later.

If you have a PVR500 card and want to use it, you NEED ivtv.
But you do have problems with your modprobe.conf

> alias eth0 forcedeth
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
>
> options snd-card-0 index=0
>
> options snd-intel8x0 index=0
>
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
>

> alias char-major-81 ivtv #THIS LINE IS AN ERROR: IT IMPROPERLY
> DUPLICATES THE LINES BELOW: REMOVE IT
>
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
>
> alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
>
> # nvidia kernel module
>
> alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-7676
>
> alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-7676
>

> # ivtv (PVR-500MCE)

Add the following line (which always existed in my setup.)
alias char-major-81 videodev

> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
>
> alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
>
> #alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
>
> alias tuner tuner-ivtv
>
> alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv

The section above is otherwise correct. I suspect that the extra line
above, and the missing char-major-81 videodev are the source of your
problem.

> install cx88-atsc /sbin/modprobe cx8800;/sbin/modprobe
> --ignore-install cx88-atsc

How old are the downloaded files you are using for this setup? You
should not need to use cx88-atsc.

> install cx88-dvb /sbin/modprobe cx8800;/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> cx88-dvb

I think this line is missing a '-r ': should be /sbin/modprobe -r cx8800

As noted elsewhere, since the kernel loads these modules as soon as it
finds the HD3000 hardware, it may (will) get the order wrong and will
load the wrong module. Modprobe.conf does not seem to unload the wrong
and load the correct modules.

Try removing these lines from your modprobe (comment out) and then run
in a console:
rmmod cx88-blackbird
rmmod cx8800
rmmod cx88-dvb
modprobe cx88-dvb

Check dmesg and look for /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 to be created.
If so, then add these lines to /etc/rc.local. rc.local is the last
script file run during boot and before the graphical console is started,
so its a good spot to put debugging and install scripts.

> install btcx-risc /sbin/modprobe tuner;/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> btcx-risc

I have no idea what this is for. I thought the btcx stuff was for the
old bt chipset cards...

HTH
Geoff

--