[mythtv-users] Second Monitor

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 15:50:04 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/6/06, Chris Hembrow <chris.hembrow at pixelseventy2.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm thinking of adding a small lcd (5inch) to a second, old 8mb matrox
>> pci graphics card, to make it easier to play music and schedule
>> recordings without needing to turn the TV on, or if someone is using
>> the TV for other purposes.
>>
>> Because this is going to be off an old, basic graphics card, I don't
>> want video to play on this card. I believe I can set mplayer to only
>> play on a second card, using -xineramadisplay=X, but is it possible to
>> do the same for the internal player.
>>
>> e.g. both displays should show the mythfrontend, but only the TV,
>> through my nvidia card, should show videos or live TV
>>

> You could also run a seperate X session for the 5" LCD. If you want
> different settings from what you use for your TV, setup a second user
> to run Myth for the LCD. I don't know if you can specificly disable
> WatchTV or Watch Recordings though.

Well, not disable them in the code per se, but you can edit the main
menu xml file, and the xml's for any other menu, and simply remove those
items from the menu.  Of course, you can also watch recordings in the
manage recordings screen by using the context menu - but my guess is you
can edit what options are available on the context menus as well.  What
you do is put a copy of the menu xml file (can't remember what it's
called) into your home dir under a subdir .mythtv.  I did this in order
to change the text in the menus and also remove some items so that they
work better at the resolution I'm using with a particular theme.
Raphael