[mythtv-users] MythTV and Satellite

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Mon Feb 6 15:45:41 UTC 2006

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
> Then you need either a serial device or an IR blaster coupled with a
> channel changing program to tell the sat box what channel to change
> to.
>
> That is why firewire is so nice.  You send the channel change commands
>
> and capture video right over the wire.

Are there any Dish receivers capable of firewire output? Or is this just
a digital cable thing?

This would be a lot cheaper too. Firewire cards can be had for $15 or
less if you look in the right
places.

>   No risk of having the sat box
> "miss" the ir commands from the ir blaster (which rarely happens, but
> is
> possible).

With my Dish 311 receiver it happens enough to annoy the heck out of my
wife. I've missed
enough of my own shows that I'd love to find a better way too.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net