[mythtv-users] HD-3000 artifacts if computer does 'anything' else

Jason Sharpe mythtv.list at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 05:02:47 UTC 2006

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 31
> Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 21:03:59 -0700
> From: Mike <stuff at dustsmoke.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] HD-3000 artifacts if computer does 'anything'
>        else
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> I have a 2000+ running as a backend with a 500/350 and a HD-3000 all in
> the same system. I already figure out that you can't actually have it
> with the frontend because if any audio card is in there with it it goes
> from lock/unlock constanty making everything unwatchable. But I'd think
> you could atleast record from the HD-3000 and say the 500 at the same
> time without having to deal with artifacts throughout the broadcast. Or
> just using a frontend and having the network adapter doing anything
> causes the same thing. It doesn't seem to matter, just 'anything'
> happening from another device causes it to make artifacts... Some more
> than others but always 'some'.
>
> Is there a way to actually use the seemingly unbuffered hd-3000 cards or
> do you just have to plan a huge event every time your going to use it by
> making sure you don't do 'anything' else on it while its in use?
>
> GA-7DXR with AMD761/VIA686b hybrid
> cat /proc/interrupts
>           CPU0
> 0:   43852776          XT-PIC  timer
> 1:         10          XT-PIC  i8042
> 2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
> 4:         20          XT-PIC  serial
> 5:   25350048          XT-PIC  cx88[0], uhci_hcd:usb1, cx88[0]
> 8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
> 9:          1          XT-PIC  acpi
> 10:   50232179          XT-PIC  ivtv0, nvidia
> 11:   14955193          XT-PIC  ivtv2, Ensoniq AudioPCI, eth0
> 12:    1000584          XT-PIC  ivtv1
> 14:    7797996          XT-PIC  ide0
> 15:   11801903          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> LOC:          0
> ERR:     280804
> MIS:          0
>

> No combination of interrupts seem to resolve it. I tried 3 other
> moterboards with 3 different VIA chipsets on them... But those last only
> a couple of mins with the 500 before VIA handles something incorrectly
> and the system hard resets.
>
> -Mike
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 32
> Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 23:05:48 -0500
> From: Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] HD-3000 artifacts if computer does
>        'anything'      else
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On 2/5/06, Mike <stuff at dustsmoke.com> wrote:
> > I have a 2000+ running as a backend with a 500/350 and a HD-3000 all in
> > the same system. I already figure out that you can't actually have it
> > with the frontend because if any audio card is in there with it it goes
> > from lock/unlock constanty making everything unwatchable. But I'd think
> [...]

I had the exact same problem, and Steve is correct, the hard drive can't
write the buffer to the hard drive fast enough.

I solved the problem by doubling the buffer on the HD-3000 card in the
MythTv Setup. Under capture cards, select the HD-3000 and then go into
advanced. There are 2 settings set to 8xxx. (I can't recall the names, I am
not at home) I just doubled the numbers to 16xxx and restarted the backend.
Problem solved for me.

Hope it helps,

Jason