[mythtv-users] Hauppauge MediaMVP

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Feb 6 02:04:09 UTC 2006

>>> beww at beww.org 02/05/06 7:30 PM >>>
> Guess I'll have to look into it further (Thanks David).
>
> I assume that I will no longer be able to transcode files into
>  mpeg4 to save space, as I believe the MVP has only mpeg2
> H/W decoding? Also I asumd HDTV is out of the question?

No mpeg4.  I just bought a 200gb drive for $10.  I could care less
how big the file is.  No way for HDTV either, but it might
be possible to do so someday.  Especially if you have a
powerful enough backend.

> Can you automatically skip commercials? Manually FF/REW?

Yep and yep.  Very nice.  My daughters were surprised to
hear that I actually wanted to watch the Sperbow commercials.
They thought something was wrong with me...  Gotta love
that they already (at 10 and 7) see that most commercials are
just pollution.

>This will  remove one of the two remaining reasons I
> have to keep a Windblows machine running (the
> other one being TiVo-to-Go, which MythTV will
> eventually eliminate as well).

I hear ya.   As soon as I figure out how to make Road runner
play my NUVs (without doing a nuvexport), I'll
be quite happy as well.

> OK, I'll stop bothering you and read the docs :-)

Not a bother.

I guess it's the ultimate in "quiet" though :-)

Nothing more quiet.  No moving parts really helps!

Paul