[mythtv-users] Vampire LIRC????

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Feb 6 01:28:18 UTC 2006

On Feb 5, 2006, at 8:21 PM, Darius Hardy wrote:

> Yan Seiner wrote:
>> My lirc only works in daytime....  No kidding....
>>
>> Read on for this bizarre, but true, happening...
>>
>> I've been using lirc happily for a number of years.  Recently (last
>> week) I got a shiny new Sharp 37" LCD TV, and hooked it up to my
>> mythtv box.
>>
>> Everything works fine (except for some unrelated failures) but the
>> remote only works during daylight.  In the morning, before sunup, no
>> remote.  During the day, no problem.  At night, after sundown, no
>> remote.
>>
>> I've not done a scientific study of exactly when it fails, but the
>> day/night (or rather, light/dark) effect is clear.
>>
>> Since all worked fine at all hours *before* the Sharp TV arrived, and
>> now it exhibits this rather bizarre behavior, somehow the TV is
>> messing
>> with LIRC, but only after dark.....
>>

> Could the TV be emitting IR and swamping the receiver? Maybe there's
> enough natural IR in the daytime for the receiver to notice and
> compensate, but not enough at night.
> Try shielding the receiver from direct sight of the screen.

It's more likely to be an artificial light source interfering with
the IR. I've heard fluorescent light is especially bad. Try turning
off your lights and trying the IR. If there's more than 1 light on
normally, turn them on one at a time until it stops working to find
your culprit. Unfortunately the solutions really are to not use the
light causing the problem or move the receiver and transmitter closer
to each other until they work.