[mythtv-users] Questions before my LUG's mythtv buildout

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 5 19:36:41 UTC 2006

On 02/05/2006 01:50 PM, Matt Darnell wrote:
> Aloha,
>
> My LUG, LUAU,

Sweet name!  :)

> here in Hawaii is going to have a mythtv build out in a couple of weeks. -
> http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2006-February/016836.html
> <http://lists.hosef.org/pipermail/luau/2006-February/016836.html>
>
> So far I have purchased two Hauppauge PVR-150's ($49.99 ea) and two
> 200GB Maxtor drives ($39.99 ea).
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1.What is the best way to get the video out?  Should I get a PVR-350
> and return one of the 150's?   Another option might be to get a mobo
> with a composite video out.  Is there an inexpensive card I should get
> to handle the video out?  Will a 150 & 350 work in the same box?  I
> got the two150's b/c want to be able to record two shows and watch
> another one at the same time.

IMHO, you should skip the PVR-350.  I only used the PVR-350 TV out for
about a week, then switched to an NVIDIA.  The $100+ for that week of TV
out was a big waste.  ;)  Go with an NVIDIA card like the GF4MX440,
which is great for SDTV, but if you ever may do HDTV, pay $2 extra for
an FX5200.

The only reason I would ever use a PVR-350 for TV out is if I had a
backend/frontend combo that didn't have enough slots...

I'll leave the rest for others.

Mike