[mythtv-users] Help with a semi-busted hard drive (with all my recordings)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Feb 5 15:33:38 UTC 2006

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 09:33:48PM -0800, Kristo Kriechbaum wrote:
> So I was making some changes in my mythbox today, and I really screwed up.  I
> broke a surface mount capacitor on one of my hard drives.  I tried to
> resolder it back on, but it ended up breaking apart a bit.  This drive is
> (was?) part of an lvm group that has all our recordings, music, and video on
> it.
>
> The drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, 200Gb, model ST32000822A.  Pictures
> detailing the damage are at http://robotics.caltech.edu/~klk/drive/

Understand this: you're buying a new drive anyway.  There's noother
practical alternative.

So, given that: buy the drive.  Hook the new one and the "broken" one
up, and see if you can use dd to copy the data off of the old one.
Even with the part gone, you might find yourself surprised, and it will
work.  If so, then you now have a drive to plug into your arrayasa
replacement, and you can then send the broken drive back.

If not, as someone pointed out, you can always steal a logic board from
yet *another* drive in your array (assuming you have a second drive of
that size -- look for version numbers on the boards: if it's an *exact*
match -- which it will be if you bought them together, usually, then
you're ok) and put it on the "bad" drive long enough to copy from it to
the new drive.

But you're *still* buying a new drive.  It's the price you pay.

Now, since this isn't RAID, you *can* buy a *larger* new drive, a 400
or 500, if you can afford it.  LVM will let you grow your volumes into
the new space, after you copy the old data on; just create a new
partition.

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?