[mythtv-users] ALSA not working in Myth

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sun Feb 5 15:17:17 UTC 2006

Chris Lynch wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> So today I decided to break down and move to the SVN version of Myth
> (8858).  I have everything working now with the exception of audio.
> Previously ALSA worked just fine from RPMs (I'm running on FC4), but now
> I get nothing from the frontend.  When I compiled myth, I did the
> following command:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-xvmc --enable-opengl-vsync
> --enable-proc-opt --enable-audio-alsa --enable-firewire --enable-dts
>
> That should enable ALSA... and I get no compile errors and all looks good.
>
> But when I run Myth and play any file, I get the following in the log:
> 2006-02-04 20:51:17.917 Audio output device is set to an ALSA device but
> ALSA support is not compiled in!
> 2006-02-04 20:51:17.917 NVP: Disabling Audio, reason is: Unable to
> create AudioOutput.
>
> This is really confusing - if I play a file in Xine or with mplayer
> using ALSA, it plays just fine.  Yikes.
>
> Any ideas?

At the end, the configure script prints out whether or not it enabled
ALSA. Did the print out say that ALSA was enabled?

The configure script checks for the ALSA library include file
(alsa/asoundlib.h) and the ALSA library (libasound). If they are not
installed on your system, then the configure script will disable ALSA
sound. Are these files installed on your system?