[mythtv-users] when to deinterlace?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 5 06:14:58 UTC 2006

On Feb 4, 2006, at 10:52 PM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> On Saturday 04 February 2006 11:46 pm, matt wrote:
>> Actually you may, probably do, need to deinterlace to your tv. I
>> forget
>> exactly what what the deal is, but basically you need to turn it
>> on or
>> adjust it when your watching something and you see lines across your
>> display. You'll see them top to bottom and usually when things are
>> moving quickly. If you ever watch Jimmy Neutron you will see it
>> sometimes, but you almost have to be looking for it. (This will have
>> nothing to do with Myth but how they render the cartoon) Both Myth
>> and
>> your Nvidia card will have settings for it. So in your case I
>> would say
>> that its probably on for your card, so you don't need it in Myth.
>>
>> If you do a google search I'm sure you will fine many articles
>> about it.
>> Its used for quite a few things.
>
> Can anyone second this? I'm a very visual person, and I'm usually
> quite
> sensitive to visual artifacts (my wife, an auditory/kinesthetic
> learner,
> is blind to most playback issues that annoy me to death), and I've
> never
> once noticed any such lines on my TV. I even watch Jimmy Neutron. :)
>
> Phill Edwards' comment about monitors makes sense. I bet
> deinterlace is
> needed when using the VGA port on LCD TVs too, but not when using
> SVid or
> RCA ports.

Interlace artifacts look like a "comb" effect on fast-moving
subjects. What you are seeing is alternating lines displaced by the
motion that occurred in the 1/60 second time between fields. A slight
case will be similar to "jaggies" and a severe case will literally
look like a comb-tooth on vertical edges.

Depending on the method used, all video from an interlaced source
(ie: any NTSC source or 1080i HDTV) will benefit from de-interlace
processing, no matter what it is displayed on.

Next week we'll get into 3-2 pulldown, telecine and reverse telecine
processing and precise NTSC color-framing :-)