[mythtv-users] How to minimize CPU usage

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 17:48:31 UTC 2006

On 2/4/06, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/4/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> > Steven Adeff wrote:

> > > DVB cards send an mpeg stream through the PCI bus, the data being sent
> > > from the cpu to the  video card is "raw uncompressed" video
> > > information.
> > >

> > So I guess the question still remains, does XvMC make a difference in
> > this case...
> >
> > Kevin
>
> From what I understand of how XvMC works, it should, as much of the
> "decompression" of the video data is done on the card.
>
> --
> Steve

I would think that the GPU on the video card is being used for the
heavy lifting of decompression, as you say.  But is the buffer holding
the output of those calculations on the video card or system RAM?  And
if it is on the video card, does it have to travel back to the system
first before being sent to the video card's output buffer, or does it
go directly there without traveling back and forth over the bus first?

I would guess for the first question that the GPU only operates on
memory on the video card.  For the second question, it depends on how
sophisticated the code is and the algorithm.

-Jerry