[mythtv-users] v4l - one last try.... RESOLVED!

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Feb 4 15:11:35 UTC 2006

OK, I'm going to post this so that hopefully some other poor chump won't
have to go through what I went through...

Basically, tuning in to live TV and changing channels caused the backend
to become non-responsive.  The first channel would tune in fine, but any
attempt to change channels would cause a screen freeze on the frontend,
and after that the backend would no longer respond.

The culprit turned out to be the btaudio module, but from subsequent
discussions on this list, including the one that gave me the final clue,
broken sound on the backend in general can cause this.  In my case, it
was particularly difficult to figure out, since the btaudio module would
insert fine, no errors were generated anywhere, and everything appeared
normal.  Except that mythtv just wouldn't work....  Since I didn't have
a sound card on the backend, I couldn't test the sound directly.

So, I pulled a cheap-ass sound card out of an old box, and stuck it in
the server, and now I have video + sound + channel changing, and a whole
lot more questions.  :-)  But that's for other threads.

Enjoying 'Big Red Dog' as we speak.... :-)

--Yan