[mythtv-users] Via Epia sp and hdtv

James Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Fri Feb 3 20:57:40 UTC 2006

On Friday 03 February 2006 1:39 pm, Shane wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 12:37:00PM -0700, James Dastrup wrote:
> > I don't have experience with the Via Epia, although I haven't
> > heard anything _good_ about them with HDTV playback. Any
> > particular reason you want it fanless? If noise is your concern,
> > you can get a nearly-quiet machine going with a diskless
> > front-end, upgraded CPU fan with voltage reducer, and a quiet
> > power supply. I have a P4 3.0 frontend that you almost have to
> > put your ear on the case before you even know it's on.
>
> Thanks for the info.  I haven't comitted to the Epia at
> this point but yeah it's for the silence.  There are cases
> which can fit the sp 1.3ghz board with a heatpipe and
> external power supply.  I planned on going diskless and pxe
> booting the thing from the big server in the other room.
> That and these mini-itx case dimensions will fit our stereo
> cabinet.
>
> Are there any other system designs which are more powerful
> that can run silent anyone is aware of.  Though I'm sure
> the near-silent systems are quiet, they can usually be
> heard if listening carefully in my experience.

If you want a 100% noiseless HD-capable player for a specific room,
you may want to consider the ROKU HD1000. At <$300, also cheaper than
any HD-capable PC you can buy.  It's not a full-blown frontend, but
plays back HD & SD recordings and watches Live TV just fine.

Regarding the near-silent systems, I guarantee that any minimal noise
you hear will be completely drowned out when watching TV, even at a
low volume. Even with the TV off, I can stand 10' away from my
system, and the termites in the attic make more noise