[mythtv-users] DVB-T Cards - Comparisons or experiences

mike choy mike at acaciaclose.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 19:05:39 UTC 2006

Stephen Kitchener wrote:
> On Friday 03 Feb 2006 16:50, Dan Seddon wrote:
>
>> Stephen Kitchener wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> I need some expert advice please.
>>>
>>> I am trying to decide as to which DVB-T card to buy, I have a list (though
>>> there are probably more) to select from, but I need someone who has had
>>> the experience, to answer a simple question....(the answer might not be
>>> simple however)
>>>
>>> The list is :-
>>> the list comes from " "http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-pvrhwdb.php"
>>>
>>> Twinhan Visionplus DVB-T
>>> Wintv Nova-T
>>> Technotrend Budget DVB-T
>>> Kworld DVB-T Xpert PCI
>>>
>>> (these are the ones that I could identify as DVB-T)
>>>
>>> Now I think that the Technotrend Budget DVB-T is the same as the Wintv
>>> Nova-T, which I already have, and isn't very good at decoding.
>>>
>>> The question is, which card is better at reception, I'm not talking about
>>> speed of tuning, I can compensate for that in the recording profiles if
>>> needed, what I am asking is which card is more sensitive or better at
>>> decoding the digital stream ??
>>>
>> I'm a bit confused here, though you might be answering some questions
>> which I've wondered. When you mean decoded - I'm guessing you're talking
>> about turning the recieved transmission in to an Mpeg stream? As, the
>> actual decoding of the mpeg is done in software or hardware (which ever
>> you use). So, by saying some cards are better than others at decoding,
>> do you mean that some a more reliable/faster at converting the signal
>> (so you have fewer artifacts and quicker channel changes on Live TV) -
>> as the actual image quality would be determined by the mpeg decoder? I
>> have 2 Nova-T cards,  as they seem to be the best supported, and
>> sometimes get freezing and artifacts (which I guess could be down to the
>> card), but they are definietly very slow at changing channels. You seem
>> to be saying this varies from card to card - or are you hoping it might
>> do? I would certainly like my channels to change quicker (though perhaps
>> that will be improved in 19.0), I hadn't thought of these issues being
>> card dependent before.
>>

> Sorry I wasn't specific enough...what I meant was that some cards seem to be
> better at getting a usable signal from the transmitter before it gets decoded
> into a digital stream and that is down to the sensitivity of the tuner on the
> card, its ability to get a signal from the transmitter and not down to the
> ability of the encoders on the card.
>
> If the signal isn't good enough as it leaves the tuner, you will get artifacts
> and there isn't anything that you can do about it.....Unless someone knows
> better, I would like to know.
>
> As to card switching speeds, I would suggest that is down to the hardware, and
> not at all down to Mythtv, maybe the firmware, but then that has to talk to
> the hardware anyway...
>

>> Thanks

> [...]
Off all the cards you have there the K-World is the better card
it uses the newer conexant chip and seems to produce a cleaner picture.

However you might consider the new Freecom DVB-T USB  it is very very
sensitive
and if you are using any sort of amplifier in your house you will
actually need to add an attenuator.

Have a look here
http://acaciaclose.co.uk/16253/index.html

However nothing ever substitutes a high quality aerial, high quality
downlead when it comes to digital tv.

Mike C