[mythtv-users] OpenGL compile error on x64 w/ nVidia 7676

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Feb 3 17:03:01 UTC 2006

On Feb 3, 2006, at 9:53 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> I compiled the nvidia drivers myself, using the amd64 download, so
> I'll assume I'm using the most 64bit version I can. OpenGL libs? I
> have Debian64's Xorg 6.8 installed... gcc4.0

If you run nVidia's installer it offers to install the "32-bit
compatibility GL libs", I'm not totally sure exactly what that option
installs and where.

I thought I had read someplace that MythTV had problems if compiled
with gcc-4.0, hopefully that's obsolete info by now.

>> I suspect that if all these factors were known some consistent
>> patterns would show up and the craziness might abate, but that would
>> be a herculean task, even for nVidia.
>
> I'd think my setup was pretty standard, and even if not, one would
> think nVidia should have the resources to buy an Athlon64 system and
> play with all the different combinations.

I wouldn't think so. There must be hundreds of possible combinations
of compilers, optimizations, libraries, versions etc. Even a behemoth
like Microsoft has problems testing "all" possible combinations.
nVidia is very good at supporting Linux but it is certainly not their
primary concern - 13-year-old Windows gamers who are able to wheedle
their parents into purchasing graphics cards which cost more than
base-model PCs seem to occupy that position :-)