[mythtv-users] OpenGL compile error on x64 w/ nVidia 7676

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:53:00 UTC 2006

> On Feb 2, 2006, at 4:27 PM, James Dastrup wrote:

> >> Only that I had the same problem. There was a bug filed with Gentoo
> >> about this and the consensus was that 7676 simply will not compile
> >> against recent kernels. I'm not sure if this is only an issue with
> >> the 64-bit architecture but at least some information seems to
> >> point in that direction.
> >>
> >> The nVidia drivers seem to generate a lot of very inconsistent
> >> results in a lot of ways, for every success story I seem to find
> >> another user who failed with what appeared to be the same setup.
> >>
> >> I guess nVidia may have problems, but it seems to be the best we've
> >> got at this point. I tried using a PVR-350 but was not very
> >> impressed, maybe my setup was bad as other have raved about them,
> >> but they won't do HDTV so the point is academic.
> >>

> > I started out with a lot of hope, but after several weeks I have tried
> > so many combinations of nVidia drivers, kernels, compile options,
> > xorg.conf settings, but still I can't get it perfect. Currently,
> > everything is running well except an annoying black & white, blinky,
> > On Screen Display.  I'm giving up on nVidia and going back to ATI,
> > which has been flawless for me on several other Myth systems I've
> > built. If you have at least a P4 2.8, and your sick of the nVidia
> > problems, ATI is your answer. A fanless 9600 can be found for around
> > $60.
>
> Well I have things working to my satisfaction with 8178 and a nVidia
> 5700, but it cost a lot of time to get there.
>
> I suspect the apparent inconsistencies have to do with what is *not*
> being reported in posts. Folks generally report their Myth version,
> nVidia driver version and maybe their distro.
>
> What they do not tell us is if they are using 32 or 64-bit nVidia
> drivers (the mere fact that they have a 64-bit CPU doesn't really
> tell the story. Knoppmyth for example will install a 32-bit system on
> a 64-bit platform, and you *can* install nVidia's 32-bit drivers even
> on a 64-bit box). They also do not say if they have the 32-bit OpenGL
> libs installed, what compatibility libs they might have, if they have
> 32-bit emulation enabled in their kernels, what gcc version they're
> using, what version of X and what compiled it etc.

I compiled the nvidia drivers myself, using the amd64 download, so
I'll assume I'm using the most 64bit version I can. OpenGL libs? I
have Debian64's Xorg 6.8 installed... gcc4.0

> I suspect that if all these factors were known some consistent
> patterns would show up and the craziness might abate, but that would
> be a herculean task, even for nVidia.

I'd think my setup was pretty standard, and even if not, one would
think nVidia should have the resources to buy an Athlon64 system and
play with all the different combinations.

--
Steve