[mythtv-users] DVB-T Cards - Comparisons or experiences

Dan Seddon dan.seddon at framestore-cfc.com
Fri Feb 3 16:50:07 UTC 2006

Stephen Kitchener wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>I need some expert advice please.
>
>I am trying to decide as to which DVB-T card to buy, I have a list (though
>there are probably more) to select from, but I need someone who has had the
>experience, to answer a simple question....(the answer might not be simple
>however)
>
>The list is :-
>the list comes from " "http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-pvrhwdb.php"
>
>Twinhan Visionplus DVB-T
>Wintv Nova-T
>Technotrend Budget DVB-T
>Kworld DVB-T Xpert PCI
>
>(these are the ones that I could identify as DVB-T)
>
>Now I think that the Technotrend Budget DVB-T is the same as the Wintv Nova-T,
>which I already have, and isn't very good at decoding.
>
>The question is, which card is better at reception, I'm not talking about
>speed of tuning, I can compensate for that in the recording profiles if
>needed, what I am asking is which card is more sensitive or better at
>decoding the digital stream ??

I'm a bit confused here, though you might be answering some questions
which I've wondered. When you mean decoded - I'm guessing you're talking
about turning the recieved transmission in to an Mpeg stream? As, the
actual decoding of the mpeg is done in software or hardware (which ever
you use). So, by saying some cards are better than others at decoding,
do you mean that some a more reliable/faster at converting the signal
(so you have fewer artifacts and quicker channel changes on Live TV) -
as the actual image quality would be determined by the mpeg decoder? I
have 2 Nova-T cards,  as they seem to be the best supported, and
sometimes get freezing and artifacts (which I guess could be down to the
card), but they are definietly very slow at changing channels. You seem
to be saying this varies from card to card - or are you hoping it might
do? I would certainly like my channels to change quicker (though perhaps
that will be improved in 19.0), I hadn't thought of these issues being
card dependent before.

Thanks

Dan