[mythtv-users] Jason Beck's QAM guide Now on the Wiki

Daniel Walton dwalton at cisco.com
Fri Feb 3 15:06:31 UTC 2006

I started using this last night to setup my Air2PC card.  From my home directory
I was trying to do

dvb-apps/util/scan/atscscan atsc/us-Cable-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256

but atscscan didn't like that because the atsc directory wansn't in my home
directory.  I changed the wiki to say:

  cd dvb-apps/util/scan
  ./atscscan atsc/us-Cable-HRC-center-frequencies-QAM256

Questions about setting up QAM:

- I only have one HD tuner and I have already set it up for recording OTA and I
have tried before to setup QAM.  The result is that I have a huge dtv_multiplex
table with lots of old info.  Will it hose my two analog tuners (PVR-150s) if I
delete everything in the dtv_multiplex table?  I want to have a fresh start
before trying to get QAM working this time.

- atscscan found 337 entries and so far I can lock onto everyone I've tried with
azap but I can't get mplayer to play any of them.  I've only tried about a half
dozen so I may just be unlucky but is it normal to be able to lock onto a
channel but not play it (it says it can't find a video stream)?  I downloaded
and compiled the latest version of mplayer but still no luck.

- atscscan didn't reveal channel names for any of the 337 channels.  I take it
this is info that my cable company isn't sending.  If I call my cable provider
what additional field of info should I ask them to transmit so that I can get
the channel names?  Time Warner Cable will probably just laugh at me when I ask
but it can't hurt to try :)

Daniel