[mythtv-users] OpenGL compile error on x64 w/ nVidia 7676

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 2 23:17:09 UTC 2006

On Feb 2, 2006, at 3:10 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a(glapi.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
> against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [libmythtv-0.19.so.0.19.0] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/DataDrive/Files/SVN/MythTV/8843/mythtv/libs/libmythtv'
>
> anyone have an idea?

Only that I had the same problem. There was a bug filed with Gentoo
about this and the consensus was that 7676 simply will not compile
against recent kernels. I'm not sure if this is only an issue with
the 64-bit architecture but at least some information seems to point
in that direction.

The nVidia drivers seem to generate a lot of very inconsistent
results in a lot of ways, for every success story I seem to find
another user who failed with what appeared to be the same setup.

I guess nVidia may have problems, but it seems to be the best we've
got at this point. I tried using a PVR-350 but was not very
impressed, maybe my setup was bad as other have raved about them, but
they won't do HDTV so the point is academic.