[mythtv-users] Console problem with ivtv-fb

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:47:49 UTC 2006

On 02/02/06, David A. Parker <dparker at utica.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have had this problem on my MythTV box since the very beginning.  As
> soon as the ivtv-fb driver loads during boot, the console stops
> responding (no input or output at all), and this problem affects all
> virtual terminals as well.  I can log in to the box remotely and do
> whatever I need to do, but sometimes it would be easier if I could just
> use the console when I am sitting right in front of it.  I tried adding
> the following line to the boot options in grub per instructions I found
> during a Google search, but it did not help:
>
> # kopt=video=vc:64-64
>
> This was supposed to move virtual console 64 onto the framebuffer, but
> like I said, it did not solve my particular problem.  Does anyone have
> this problem?  Any ideas?

Have you searched the list archives (this has come up many times
before). The users list is archived (and searchable) at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/

One fix is to append 'vga=792' to the kernel options (and disable
rhgb) which should fix the framebuffer problems.

When I had the problem about a year ago - running 2.6.10 and ivtv
0.2.0-rc3f (I'm not sure if it is fixed in recent ivtv/kernels) I
recompiled the kernel after changing some framebuffer settings. I
don't use the -350's output currently so couldn't tell you if it's
fixed or still requires the above kernel option.

Nick