[mythtv-users] adding a pvr500

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 16:40:05 UTC 2006

On 02/02/06, Claude Gélinas agr. <claude at phyto.qc.ca> wrote:
> I'm in the process of adding a pvr500mce to my system which already work
> with a prv350
>
> my modprobe.conf file include these line:
>
> # ivtv modules setup
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
> install ivtv /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ivtv; /sbin/modprobe ivtv-
> fb
> install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> lirc_i2c
> options ide-cd dma=1
>
> the doc say to put :
>
> # ivtv (PVR-500MCE)
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
> alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
> alias tuner tuner-ivtv
> alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv
>

> should I add another line as:
>
> alias char-major-81-2 ivtv

You probably want to add

alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias char-major-81-2 ivtv

The PVR-500 is essentially two PVR-150 cards.

> also the two line bellow:
>
> alias tuner tuner-ivtv
> alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv

These lines ensure that the ivtv modules from atrpms do not conflict
with the kernel versions.

> are new. should I remove my two install... line and if so will I need to
> upgrade other parts like kernel etc.

Shouldn't need to. The first loads the ivtv framebuffer module for the
-350 and the second LIRC support which should still load normally.

> I'm running fc3 2.6.12-1.1378_FC3 x86_64 Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
> ivtv: version 0.3.8

If everything works (check the ivtv output in dmesg) you're OK. You
may want to upgrade ivtv to a 0.4.x version (but be warned by the
large number of posts about problems)

Nick