[mythtv-users] Will a PcChips M789CLU C3 2000+ with WinPVR card suffice?

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Thu Feb 2 16:07:48 UTC 2006

Mike wrote:

>Francesco Peeters wrote:
>

>>A friend pointed me to the PcChips M789CLU C3 2000+ MoBo, which has built
>>in everything, but runs on a VIA C3 at 900MHz.
>>

>I don't know about other people but I've just come to the conclusion
>that you can't use anything on motherboards infected with VIA chipsets.
>I've had way too many problems in the past with things like PVR500's and
>it's PCB bridge and VIA's ill designed IRQ and DMA handling. I'm won't
>even attempt to use them anymore because its just not worth it to me to
>find another faulty chipset. Everything, and I mean everything else that
>I've tried in AMD, Intel, and SIS chipsets has worked just fine while
>almost all VIA chipsets have had problems for me.......
>
>-Mike

I think that's something of a generalization.

KT133 had some major IDE controller issues. KT133, 266 and 333 were a
little badly behaved in terms of PCI bus flooding (especially when a
Sound Blaster got involved). KT600 was uncompetitive compared to
nforce4, if a reasonable chipset. The AMD64 range (e.g. K8T800) are
pretty good, and considered a good choice for those wanting better Linux
support than nForce4 offers.

Personally I've had more grief with SiS than Via, and my K8T800 board
works fine.