[mythtv-users] HD1080i or HD480i? 6600 Component out

Steve Skarda skskarda at msn.com
Thu Feb 2 15:52:31 UTC 2006

Long-time reader, first time poster.

I am a newbie running MythTV from SVN on Ubuntu outputting component out via a fanless Nvidia 6600.  Reading some old posts from Jarod and others, I was able to output to my TV (which accepts 1080I, not 720p on a 4:3 screen) with the line in my xorg:   Option "TVStandardard" "HD480i"  No modelines required.

While this works great, it obviously isn't HDTV which was my primary purpose for MythTV.   (Can't wait to sell my Tivo!).    When I add the line Option "TVStandard" "HD1080i" I get a small desktop on what appears to be a 1080i resolution.  I can see that Nvidia is outputting a wide screen resolution but the desktop is significantly narrower and shorter than the NVidia output and is centered in the screen.  I have tried the Windows/Powerstrip route and gotten modlines that should work but don't seem to help.  Also, when MythTV kicks into watching a show under this mode, the system freezes and requires a reboot.

Second question.   Considering that I have a 4:3 HDTV (16:9 didn't fit in my entertainment center but I will be buying a front projection in the near future), will 1080i output ever be able to fill the screen for shows that are 4:3?   Probably doesn't matter since those shows aren't HDTV anyway but I don't think I can change Xorg.conf from one mode HD480i to the other HD1080i on the fly.  Or can I?

Sorry for the newbie questions.   BTW,  I appreciate all of the folks that respond on this and other forums.   I took a little different route setting up my first MythTV system on Ubuntu with a Fusion 5 Gold card and 6600 component output.  While this is probably trivial for some folks, it was a great challenge (and a ton of fun) for someone that has never worked on Linux before.   I had many, many problems all of which I was able to solve (except this one) by reading through this and other forums.   For the active posters/problem solvers:  Thanks!  Not to mention the developers!