[mythtv-users] USB Drive question

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Feb 2 14:16:47 UTC 2006

PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:

>> PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
>>
>>> I've just lucked into 4 250gb usb drives.  Is this ok to use for
>>> livetv and recordings?  I'm planning to do xfs and either
>>> symlinking or some other method.  Is this ok, or should
>>> I break out my old server and set these ide drives up
>>> as internal and nfs mount them over to the
>>> mythbackend?
>>>

>> My concern would simply be that in order to use 4 250gb
>> drives effectively, you need to use LVM.  Putting removable
>> media in an LVM setup is probably a bad idea.  If that disk
>> goes offline for any reason, your LVM partition is hosed.
>> USB drives can work great for Video, Music, or even
>> Images data, but I would never use it for my recording
>> partition or anything LVM related.
>>

> No way am I using LVM ever again.  I'm trying to save up
> some cash for a hardware raid5 solution.  I lost about
> 3 years worth of recordings, some I don't care about, some
> that are not easily replaced.  I guess I'll just use these
> for backup, which is a decent idea for those hard to
> replace recordings.
>
> I just thought these were such a good deal I could
> use them temporarily, but I guess I'll wait for
> another few months to put in my huge array.

One of the things on my list of things to do after 0.19 is add the idea
of storage groups to Myth to give at least a minimum level of
flexibility for recording on different partitions without using LVM.
When it works, it works great, but the idea of my old 80GB drive taking
down my two new 160GB drives when it fails is enough for me to want to
add that feature.

Kevin