[mythtv-users] Bookmarks and commercial points off

Curtis Stanford curtis at stanfordcomputing.com
Wed Feb 1 21:09:12 UTC 2006

I'm still seeing a little weirdness with some video coming over
firewire from a DCT-6200. The commercial detection seems to work
great but the points marked as the start and stop of commercials is
off. At the beginning, the points are pretty close but as the
recording plays toward the end, the points wander further and further
away from the actual commercials (sooner than they should be). I'm
pretty sure this isn't the commercial detector's fault because
bookmarks in recordings are also off. If I hit space bar during a
show to mark the position and play the recording again, it's not in
the same place. The bookmark is more off as I get more into the
recording, just like the commercial marks.

This is most evident in HD, by the way. SD recordings work pretty
much flawlessly in this respect.

Another weird thing with both HD and SD is that the times for
recordings are too short sometimes. An hour long recording sometimes
shows as anything from 50-57 minutes. The show is not cut off, just
the time is wrong. I think this is related to the problem above. I've
also seen a very weird problem where a half hour program shows that
it's an hour long, even though it only plays for a half hour. This is
a very rare case but I have seen it happen during the recording. At
the very end, the time jumps from 29:54 or whatever to 1:00:02 or
something similar.

How are those times figured out? Is there a time code in the mpeg2
stream or something? I'm wondering if the stream coming from the
cable box is defective in some way.

Curtis