[mythtv-users] hdtv file size?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed Feb 1 17:51:33 UTC 2006

Mike wrote:
> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>
>> Or at least, not
>> OTA or QAM HDTV?
>>

> OTA/8VSB and QAM are just the means of transporting the raw mpeg stream
> to you.... Its all the same once you've receive it.

Well, perhaps I should have said "Or at least, not compressed formats".
There may be HDMI ->
mpeg2/4 hardware converters at some point, similar to my PVR 350, but
for digital HDTV. Otherwise
we'll all be eternally limited to OTA or unencrypted cable QAM, right?
No DirectTV/Dish/encrypted cable.

>> I suppose that might make sense, since there'd be some quality loss.
>>

> Thats my thinking. If its already in a compressed HD format that all HD
> equipment plays, why would you want it in anything else?

The answer is rather obvious to me: Disk space.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net