[mythtv-users] Help - no sound on some channels (bttv) after kernel & module upgrade

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 16:16:53 UTC 2006

Last week I upgraded my FC3 box to kernel 2.6.12 & ivtv 0.4.2 (I've got
both an ivtv and a bttv card in the box).  After some struggling with
module aliases & options to get the new ivtv working (I was upgrading
from 0.2.x), I got my M-179 working again flawlessly.  However, now I
have no sound on 3 or 4 channels on my bttv card.  Unfortunately, one
of those channels happens to be SciFi!!!

I also see a lot of the following messages in my system log:

ALSA /var/tmp/bach-build/BUILD/alsa-driver-1.0.10/pci/bt87x.c:286: FIFO
overrun, status 0xe8005008

which may or may not be related.  I made sure I updated my ALSA
driver/modules & libraries to the same version, and yes, I am using
snd-bt87x to capture the audio for my bttv card.

I'm pretty sure I don't need to fine-tune the channels, as the M-179
tunes them just fine using the same video source, and even the WinTV
card was tuning them fine until this upgrade.

Any thoughts?  I've seen some threads where people lost sound on some
channels after upgraded to ivtv-0.4.2, but they were all using the ivtv
card.  I'm seeing this on the bttv card, which I find weird.

Thanks,
JAC