[mythtv-users] smbmount from XP to FC4

Seth Art sethsec at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:50:59 UTC 2006

Hi All.  I wonder if there is a better way to do what I am doing.  My data
is all stored on my XP machine.  I use the following command after bootup:

mount -t smbfs -o mythtv,password=xxxxx //xp/MyMovies /mnt/MyMovies

However, if my XP machine loses power or network connectivity this share
rarely, if ever, recovers.  Worse yet is that I usually get an I/O error
while trying not umount it.  I've tried killing the [smbiod], killing all
the mount.smbfs processes, but sometimes the only way I can recover from
this is to reboot and remount.

I know using fstab would make it mount automatically on boot up, but I am
not sure this would solve my problem.  Would it?

So, I'm hoping someone else out there is also sharing from a windows machine
TO their myth machine and not the other way around.  Does anyone have a
better, more graceful solution.

Thanks,

Seth